As LinkedIn’s social media guy for the past nearly five years, I’ve had an opportunity to talk to tons of folks at similar roles at companies big and small. Many of these conversations yield valuable insights into running social media programs but they never gets shared with the larger community who’ll find that super-useful.
With that goal in mind, a few of us folks, have created a group on LinkedIn.
The Group Goal:
- Learning is good, Sharing is better: We wanted to get social media managers at companies sharing the lessons they’ve learned doing social media with the broader community
- More signal, less noise: No matter where you go as a social media manager you find groups with thousands of members who may or may not be working on social media projects. There’s a ton of noise out there that we’d like to avoid.
- Real social media expertise: There is a dearth of real knowledge on how social media is implemented by companies. And, companies are still grappling with questions after they have jumped onto the bandwagon. The group hopes to share some real-world wins with companies.
We had an original goal of hitting 50 group members in the first few weeks and and we have more requests than we can handle. And, we hope to grow the group purely through good old word of mouth. So, if you know someone who is implementing social media at companies or small businesses, you may wanna share this group with them.
What is the group mix?
To achieve our goal of surfacing real world examples and helping the social media community, we aim to grow the membership along three broad categories. If you’re in the space, you’ll probably recognize a lot of the folks mentioned below. Here are some examples of the social media folks (areas as broad as community, marketing, PR at companies) you’ll find in our group today.
I. Companies, Startups, and Universities
- Lionel from Dell
- Tom from Kodak
- Sonal at Xerox PARC
- Esteban at Samsung
- James from Genentech
- Ian from Stanford University
- Christopher at AT&T
- Umang from Microsoft
- Ryan at NBC
- Vanessa from Hilton …
II. Social Platforms
- Yours truly at LinkedIn
- Karen from Twitter (just started at Twitter this week)
- Ramya at YouTube News and Politics
- Oliver from Google
I’ve also invited the social / community folks from Google, and Google+, but they are yet to join. I’m not sure who currently runs Facebook’s blog (social and community efforts) let me know or ping them with the group link. Or, just leave a comment.
III. Events, Conferences and Media
- Kristie from Social Media Club
- Amalia from TNW
- Robyn from RWW, besides others…
This should give you an example of what to expect should you join the group and your peers you’ll find in the group.
Of course, the ultimate goal is to surface any shared learnings we have as a group that will benefit the larger community of social media practitioners. So, come join us.
p.s. Wondering why we picked LinkedIn groups. I considered a broad range of options and LinkedIn was not only the ideal setting (given most social media managers at companies can be found on the platform) but it’s also a great way to check out their latest social media work (through their up-to-date LinkedIn profiles vs. using Google Groups for e.g. that’s more email based).
Are you in social media? Come join us!
Leave a Reply